Austrian Presidency of the Council of the European Union 2018
Austria assumed its third presidency of the Council of the European Union on 1 July 2018, following its presidencies in 1998 und 2006. Within the 6-month presidency, many events ranging from informal ministerial meetings and conferences to expert meetings and cultural events took place in Austria.
The Austrian Presidency's initiatives on gender equality
In the field of Gender Equality, Austria used her Presidency of the Council of the European Union to inspire an open and future-oriented dialogue on gender equality. Austria aims at restoring political attention for and strengthening the discourse on gender equality in the EU, i.a. with the following initiatives:
- The High-Level Group on Gender Mainstreaming met in Vienna in July 2018.
- The European conference Gender Equality and YOU. Young Voices. Joint Initiative. took place in Vienna on 11-12 October 2018. The outcome document "Visions and Actions for Gender Equality" (PDF), (not barrier-free) Further information thereto are available at the conference website www.genderequalityandyou.at.
- Additionally, two informal ministerial meetings were held:
- The "Joint Declaration: Gender Equality as a Priority of the European Union today and in the future" (PDF) was presented and signed at the informal ministerial meeting of the EU Gender Equality Ministers. 27 EU Member States support the initiative.
The 'Trio Presidency'
To ensure the continuity of the EU's work in the Council, successive presidencies work together in groups of three. The Trio Presidency adopts a common programme determining the priorities and objectives that will be addressed by the Council over the 18‑month period covered by their presidencies.
The last Trio Presidency was made up of the presidencies of Austria and its predecessors Estonia (in the second half of 2017) and Bulgaria (in the first half of 2018). There is a joint programme for the entire 18‑month period of the current Trio Presidency.
Information on Equality of Women and Men in Austria
On the occasion of the Austrian EU-Presidency a brochure was edited. It provides a compact overview on the milestones and the current situation of gender equality in Austria.
- Gender Equality in Austria, milestones, successes and challenges, 2018 (PDF)
- Joint Declaration: Gender Equality as a Priority of the European Union today and in the future, 2018 (PDF)
- Gender Equality, Youth and Digitalisation – Presidency Conclusions (2018)
- Gender equality and youth: opportunities and risks of digitalisation – Executive Summary (2018)
- Visions and Actions for Gender Equality. Outcomes of the Conference "Gender Equality & YOU", 2018 (PDF), (not barrier-free)